Reason 412 to hate the 1980s: Full size GM cars introduce “shrinkage.”
Take a “free test dive of the new 1985 Electra!” ad to your Century Buick/local Buick dealer for a “free” “test drive” of the new 1985 Buick Electra. Except: Continue reading “We should have nuked the 1980s”
This is obviously a photoshop. Seriously. A “Merkur” (nee German Ford) Scorpio that:
- is not rusted out
- appears to have arrived under its own “power”
- has more than the owner looking at it – no one’s laughing and pointing; no one’s barfing
- has race parts? WTF?
What the fuck was 8 Barrel thinking, trading a Mustang GT for this. Oh wait. Kids. It could have been worse. It could have been a Ford Tempo.
|I swear it’s not a social call.* And no, I did not park in the back to go unseen by cops or coworkers.|
November 1979 – death becomes her
The best things:
- cost $75
- roll down rear windows
- could remove ignition key while the car was running (handy when fighting over who got to use it next)
- straight 6 tractor motor that would run forever
The worst things:
- everything else
- manual steering. Even more fun with a broken idler arm, making it a Fox News car (always pulling right)
- straight 6 tractor motor that had about 90 hp
- everything was 5 minutes from failure – paint turning to dust. window cranks spontaneously breaking. Starter motor roulette.
Its colossal failures did lead to the acquisition of the Fury, so it’s got that going for it, which is good.
Pops remains proud.
Somewhere around 1970.
What the hell was wrong with us in the 70s?