Coupe de Ville, from the French word for bloated tank of lard. This is the pinnacle of American luxury in the day. Why?
- 472 cubic inch V-8 – bigger than your puny Impala’s 350
- 22 ft long – again, bigger than your puny impala.
- Power windows, locks, a/c, long before they were common on kias
- Leather, from actual creatures
- An arm rest in the back seat. That is the real kicker. It’s how my grandparents knew they were in a real luxury car. Not the other shit – the rear arm rest.
Uncle Bob had a shit brown one, which blended in nicely in dingy, drab Detroit.
Besides the obvious (war for oil, Dick Cheney secret energy policy, Bush), could it be because we wasted all the cheap gas on giant shitboxes?
Exhibit A: 1974 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (no, not THAT one). Continue reading “Why we “deserve” $3.00 gas”
Where I saw one: 5 and Diner, down the street from Walnuts McCain’s HQ of political irrelevance. Coincidence? I think not. Bloated plastic shitpiles are often quasi-magnetically drawn to one another.
Nostalgia factor: -3/10
Continue reading “1978 Cadillac Coupe de Ville”