This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Escort Radar + Laser Detectors. All opinions are 100% mine.
Due to some life changes, we are suddenly racking up the miles on the car. We rack up thousands more miles on every type of road and in every city in the Phoenix metro area than most drivers. We now also make frequent trips to California and across New Mexico to west Texas. This means more ways than ever before to get a traffic ticket.
We’re used to red light cameras in metro Phoenix. Red light running is a real problem here. Photo radar is all over – at intersections, fixed installations along some streets, and at random mobile locations. Radar and laser guns are common sights – sometimes DPS sets up surprise mass enforcement zones. Air patrols are not really a thing in the valley.
Our constant road trips are a different matter. For example:
- On wide open highways, signs warn that speeds are monitored by aircraft.
- The state roads in west Texas radiate in straight lines like cardinal/ordinal directions on a compass. Highway 60, between Magdalena and Datil, New Mexico contains a stretch of two-lane that is arrow-straight for 20 miles. It’s easy to just focus on the horizon and miss a traffic sign.
- Small towns on state highways often mean sudden drops in speed limits. Safe drivers need to treat those changes seriously. They also need to wait for a sign announcing the resumption of highway speeds. Sometimes the increase happens in steps over miles, rather than at the town border. Attention pays off.
Even with the best of intentions, traffic signs get missed sometimes. While most drivers may not consider themselves “speeders,” the reality is that we often travel on roads where speed limits change without our awareness. Therefore, potential threats are elevated. In Scottsdale, Arizona, a stretch of Camelback road has dynamic speed limits. If you saw the static sign but missed the variable limit one, you could have problems.
Drivers make errors. About 41 million drivers get a traffic ticket in any given year. Tickets are expensive. An average traffic ticket costs about $150. (In Arizona, it’s definitely higher.) That’s about six billion dollars in ticket costs across the country – every year. Unless you can go to traffic school, a traffic ticket has a greater impact to your wallet – your cost of insurance. The average insurance increase over three years from ONE ticket is $900!
Even if you are a careful driver who doesn’t speed, law enforcement can make errors. The National Motorist Association estimates that a third of all speed enforcement citations are erroneous.
So what is a safe driver to do?
One answer would be “buy a radar +laser detector.” With all the threats out there, detectors are more relevant now than ever before and, thanks to technology, smarter than ever before.
- Legal. Radar/laser detectors are legal across the U.S., except for Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Current. The technology is constantly evolving. I own a five-year-old detector, and (I think) a couple of older units. The new detectors are miles ahead in technology, accuracy and sophistication. They can keep you aware of threats that constantly heighten.
- Cost-effective. If the average financial hit (fine/increased premiums) from a traffic citation is over $1,000, a detector will pay for itself the first time it saves you from a ticket.
That’s where the revolutionary new Escort Max 360 radar + laser detector comes in. Escort has been the industry leader in radar/laser protection for more than 30 years.
The Escort 360 provides the most precise 360° ticket protection on the road.
- Dual antennas provide you with full-circle threat detection.
- The dual antenna front + rear detection rapidly scans surrounding threats.
- Directional arrows instantly identify the source.
- GPS-powered AutoLearn technology intelligently rejects false alerts based upon signal frequency and location.
- Digital Signal Processing provides extreme range and lightning fast response.
- Escort Radar products are recommended over Valentine One.
Escort backs up the Max 360 with the “Speeding Ticket Limited Guarantee.” This guarantee includes both radar and laser speeding citations when you buy one factory direct at www.escortradar.com. Learn more about it and the Escort Max 360 and how it provides precise detection and ticket protection on the road.
Escort has kindly provided us with a unit to evaluate. Watch this site for a future post with our thoughts and experiences.