Another day, another survivor, sort of. It’s not clear if this still runs.
Who in Dearborn thought this was a better idea? It could have been. It almost was, but NOOO. Why? Easy”
1. Shrinkage. This wasn’t just the 1979 to 1980 Lincoln Continental makeover, this was more like the 1978 to 1986 Eldorado.
2. Don’t go cheap:
- Bad color combos
- Base cars get plate wheel covers?
- Uninspiring base greenhouse/roofline.
- The TBird endcaps on a Futura body would have been better. (Barely.)
3. Sweat the details. Look at the front cap bumper molding – it is flush with the fender. Now look at the rear below. The molding is different on the cap. And, it in no way flows together. D-ooh! And WTF with the window frames? This is the cheap roof – we get it. Even so, do we NEED to see the body colored frame inside the chrome molding, especially on the rear? Way to disguise the Fairmont underneath. NOT.
Oh, what could have been, if they started here, and then went for glory.